Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lilia Kopylova's tears over Strictly Come Dancing axe


Shocked Lilia Kopylova sobbed for 40 minutes after being forced to quit Strictly Come Dancing.

Talented Lilia, who won the BBC1 show with Darren Gough in 2005, had been told by producers she was being axed as a celebrity’s dance partner and would be relegated to a dance troupe.
The 32-year-old Russian star spoke of her anguish for the first time last night.
She revealed: “I was inconsolable.
“When I rang the BBC and told them I didn’t want to take the new role on Strictly, I felt incredibly emotional.
“As soon as I put the phone down, I burst into tears and then carried on for around 40 minutes.
“It was one of the hardest decisions of my life, causing me lots of sleepless nights.”
The star and husband Darren Bennett – a fellow Strictly pro who triumphed in 2004 with actress Jill Halfpenny – met show bosses in June. They were stunned to learn neither would compete in this year’s series.


Lilia said: “Producers called Darren and I in, just as they had every year to discuss plans for the forthcoming series. But then they explained we would not partnering celebrities on Strictly any more.
“It came as a total bolt out of the blue. I didn’t cry there and then in the meeting, because I am very professional, but I was very upset inside.
“Afterwards, Darren and I were in shock. You do think, ‘Why us?’ We’ve been the most successful couple.
“If you include Christmas specials, we’ve won the most trophies between us – seven in all.”
Darren will stay with Strictly and Lilia said: “I respect his decision, as he respects mine. But it’s going to be hard not dancing together on the show.
“I don’t know how I’ll feel about seeing it at all. Having been such a big part of it for six years, sitting at home on the sofa watching it on TV will be strange.”
Darren and Lilia, who wed in 1999, were snapped last week on a sunshine holiday in Marbella, southern Spain.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks In Text Ads