Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sania Mirza will play tennis for India : Shoaib Malik

Shoaib Malik finally broke his silence on Sunday and said his earlier marriage to Ayesha Siddiqui was “illegal”. He also said that after marriage Sania Mirza would continue playing tennis for India.

Talking to journalists outside Sania’s Banjara Hills residence, Malik made it clear that his marriage with Sania would be held on April 15 in Hyderabad as scheduled. He also circulated a press report which said that the nikahnama with Ayesha was illegal as it was done over phone and that he had been pressurized into it.

Malik said he wanted to clarify “wrongly reported facts” in newspapers and television channels both in India and Pakistan. “I want to make my position clear specially because I am to marry Sania,” he said.

He admitted to the nikahnama in his statement but said it was invalid since the intention was to cheat him.

He said he never met the girl whose photographs the Siddiqui family sent to him claiming to be Ayesha’s.

“They are asking for a divorce. There was no nikah because they pressurised me into it with the intention to cheat. In Islam, there can only be a divorce if nikah is valid,” he said.
Pakistani player Shoaib Malik on Sunday did not answer any direct questions regarding the earlier marriage saying that his lawyers would answer them.

“The things being said about me, it’s a legal issue and my lawyer will answer the questions,” was all he said. But he had lots to say about the upcoming marriage.

“I am happy to be here and I am here for my marriage with Sania. We are happy with our marriage.

Sania knows the whole truth (about his earlier marriage) and she is happy. She has supported me completely throughout this ordeal. We are getting married, Inshaallah, on April 15 in Hyderabad. Preparations are on in full swing,” he said, adding, “The atmosphere here is very good. We are enjoying the warmth bestowed upon us.

Over the next few days, I am going to be involved in the preparations.” Asked about Sania’s tennis career, Malik said, “She will play tennis as long as she wants, my family’s support is there. She will continue to represent India after the marriage.”
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks In Text Ads